This is a genuine, antique, early 19th century, Qing Dynasty 清朝
(Dated 1821) Chinese, wood, polychrome colour, Warrior/Taoist Ancestor Figure complete with Prayer Niche Contents ( dated caligraphy scroll ). Part of an old family altar from pre communist China.
The man is in a well modelled and hand carved, dynamic Warrior/Martial posture. He is depicted with bulging eyes, with a tall hat typical of Taoist Priests, long flowing beard, and decorative flowing ceremonial/warrior robes, and high boots.
There is the typical consecreation hole carved in the back of the piece. The wood seal and the two devotional contents are complete, which is quite rare.
These consist of:
1. A small herb bag in hesian tied with thread, which holds fragrant herbs to purify the statue and its ceremonial function. This is usually lost.
2. A folded paper dedication scroll, with beautiful Chinese caligraphy, which states the date, maker, family, and their dedication. According to the translation of the Chinese Experts at Catawiki, it is marked as Daoguang first year, 1821. in summary of the lengthy dedication it says they wished for good reputation, and a good business future.
PLEASE NOTE: The statue would have been carved either in this year or possibly well before if it had been rededicated, which was common practice. Therefore the statue, due to its condition maybe late 18th Century.
With attractive age related patina, this figure has lovely flowing sculptural and aesthetic attributes. Its a very evocative and decorative piece suitable for the collector, gift, or a wonderful interior design statement. This is a good investment opportunity.
PROVENANCE: From a Japanese Collection, and Japanese Collector of Asian Antiques, Japan.
AGE/ORIGIN: Qing Dynasty. Early 19th Century. (Dated 1821) or earlier. China.
CONDITION: Reasonable. Wear, patina,old dust, surface loss, detail loss, robe loss, laquer loss, gold gilt and colour loss, blemishes, small surface cracks, wood seperation, and scratches. Wood worm and termite damage. Small old repairs to legs. Conditions usual for age and use.
11 x 3.5 x 5 inches approximately
27 x9 x12cm approximately
Sent carefully packaged shipped tracked and signed insured. PLEASE NOTE: Because of the delicate nature of the statue extra packaging is required and the postage is a little higher than usual for an item of this weight. Thanks for your understanding.
- Qing Dynastie (1644-1911)
- Regio / land van herkomst
- Titel kunstwerk
- Warrior Ancestor Figure with Prayer Niche Contents - Polychrome Wood
- Slechte staat, zie beschrijving
- 27×12×9 cm