- Horsfield, Thomas, and Frederic Moore - A Catalogue of the Lepidopterous Insects in The Museum of the Hon, East-India Company. Vol. I. London, H. Allen and Co., 1857. VIII, 278, IV, 12, [VIII] pp. + 18 lithographed plates. - Orig. cloth binding with gilt title on spine (23 x 14cm.)
* Thomas Horsfield (1775 - 1859) was a noted physician and naturalist who worked in Indonesia at the beginning of the 19th. century. After the British under Raffles left Java in 1816 he worked in Sumatra until he returned to London in 1819 where he became director of the East India Company Museum and started publishing his notes that he had taken during his expeditions in Asia. This book on the butterflies and moths of SE Asia is one of these publications (a second volume was published in 1859).
Condition; binding slightly worn and faded, two plates slightly soiled, otherwise in good condition.
* Interesting copy, presented to the Society of Sciences ("Bataviaasch Genootschap') in Batavia by Horsfield's co-author Frederic Moore. The gift appaently was accepted as the book still has the library stamp of Batavia Society of Sciences on its titlepage.
- Aantal boeken
- Natuurlijke historie
- Auteur/ Illustrator
- (Indonesia, South-East Asia; Natural History) Thomas Horsfield & Frederic Moore
- A Catalogue of the Lepidopterous Insects in the Museum of the Hon. East-India Company - Vol. I
- Publicatiejaar oudste item.
- Eerste druk
- Engels, Italiaans
- Oorspronkelijke taal
- Harde kaft